Saturday, August 2, 2014

Soft Fluffy Orange Cake


I have been making orange cakes several times and this recipe is by far the best and the most satisfying one.

I whipped this cake when we had our sibling get-together session on the first day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri.  We have not been meeting each other for almost three months. Since the meet up was arranged during tea time at mom's house, I was thinking that perhaps a simple homemade cake would just go perfect with a cup of hot coffee.

Coincidentally, I stumbled upon this amazing recipe on Google+ while waiting for my sister's call.  I could not exactly recall what attracted me to this recipe but all I knew, this could be THE  recipe I was looking for and before I could say anything further, I was already in the kitchen whipping my magic.

Thankfully, everything turned out well and I was absolutely pleased with the results.  The cake rose and baked beautifully in the oven.  For the first time ever, in my baking history - No domed shape!  No cracked top!  No over-burned top!  What came out was - a soft, moist and fluffy little sweet treat, all ready to wow me and the entire family.


True enough, the cake was a winner that afternoon.  In fact, it's always a bliss to eat a cake while it's still warm, soft and fluffy.  That could be the reason everyone was going around ooh and ahh and subsequently complementing me and my wife.  Wait a minute, my WIFE?  What has she got to do with the cake?  Actually, what they meant was....."you are damn lucky to have such an amazing husband."  LOL!  Well, to me it was THE RECIPE that made me so-called AMAZING, okay!  I - JUST - FOLLOW! 

So, my dear friends, if you wanna be as AMAZING as I am, then FOLLOW the recipe below....(hehehe!)


The Recipe:
(adapted from Monica of  Lick The Bowl Good)

Note : For this recipe, I have reduced the amount of sugar both in the cake and in the orange glaze.  I find the sugar used in the orange glaze was a little crazy.

Cake:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks/about 230g) unsalted butter, room temp.
  • 1 cup granulated sugar (I reduced to 3/4 cup)
  • 4 eggs, room temp.
  • 1 1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 7 Tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice
Glaze:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar (I reduced to 1 cup)
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 tsp orange zest
The Method:
  1. Heat the oven to 350F. Butter a 9-inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. 
  2. Then butter the paper and set aside.
  3. Cream the butter and sugar well, until it is very pale and thick - this will take quite a while.
  4. Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition, then add the zest. Add the flour, baking powder and salt all at once, and beat well, then slowly add the orange juice until it is incorporated.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin, and bake for 35-40 minutes - or until an inserted skewer comes out clean (slow is best, so don' t be afraid to cook it longer. If it starts to brown too much on the top, cover loosely with a sheet of buttered foil.)
  6. Allow cake to cool in pan for 15-20 minutes on a wire rack. Then invert onto a plate, remove the parchment paper and allow to cool completely before glazing.
  7. To make the icing, stir the orange juice into the icing sugar until you have the right spreading consistency. 
  8. Pour the icing onto the cake and spread with a spatula or butter knife, allowing the icing to drip down the sides of the cake.
  9. Leave the icing to set before cutting the cake into wedges or storing in an airtight container.

NOTE (from Monica) : I thought the glaze was rather sweet and needed more orange flavor so I suggest adding some grated orange zest to the glaze for more intense flavor.



3 comments:

  1. Loved the recipe. Made some adjustments
    - halved the recipe for a small cake
    - used self rising flour
    - added zest and juice of an entire orange (for half the recipe)... Too lazy to measure orange juice in tablespoons haha

    Turned out beautiful and fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it 1 Tablaspoon of BP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you substitute butter to crisco or oil?

    ReplyDelete