Thursday, June 20, 2013

Ice-cream Crepe With Orange Sauce


I first made this delectable dessert during this year's Chinese New Year (CNY).  Since both my kids loved eating crepe cakes and.....since, there was some leftover ice-cream in the freezer that had been lying there for months, why not make something out of the twos.  After all, it's going to be CNY and as in every year, I would normally have to crack my head thinking of something fast, simple yet 'special' to serve my guests.

So, off I went googling around and soon realized that there were loads of recipes on crepes with ice-cream.  Almost all the ice-cream crepe recipes were accompanied with a sauce and for that I deliberately chose orange for I was sure the sauce would further spice up the new-year mood.  More so, I always believe that we can never go wrong with orange and vanilla and they will always be a good blend. So, for the ice-cream, it was undeniably vanilla. 

To be certain of this simple arrangement, my kids (as it is always the case) were called to play guinea pigs for me.  Looking at how they scrambled and bickered just to grab that one miserable piece and it ended with my four-year-old girl bawling one the floor, totally 'defeated', I was assured that this humble treat would receive a favorable thumbs up.     

True enough, friends and relatives who tried this dessert delightfully like it.  So, here I come whipping this recipe for the second time.  But this time round, it is on Father's Day!

The Recipe:

A) For The Crepe Batter (yields 6-8 pcs of crepe):
     3  tbsp butter
     1 1/2 cups fresh milk
     3/4 cup all-purpose flour
     3  eggs
     3  tbsp sugar
     pinch of salt
     vegetable oil

      Method:
      - Cook butter until hazelnut brown
      - heat milk until steaming.  Then, cool for 10 minutes
      - beat eggs, flour, sugar and salt, on medium speed
      - slowly add hot milk and browned butter into the mixture
      - refrigerate overnight

      - the following day, heat the frying pan, brushing the surface with some oil
      - once it is hot, scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan, give it a nice swirl to form a
        paper thin layer of crepe
      - after about 40 sec, overturn the crepe and cook the other side for a further 40 sec

 B) For The Orange Sauce:
      1 cup orange juice
      1 tbsp butter
      1 tbsp milk
      1 tbsp plain flour
      6 tbsp sugar
      zest of 1 orange

      Method:
      - Mix the all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
      - Simmer the juice mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about
        10 minutes, until a thick, syrupy sauce is formed. 
      - set it to cool and it is now ready for drizzle



 HAPPY TRYING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment