Personally, I have a great weakness for potatoes! I have been making mashed potatoes for years but can't seem to get it right.....until I found this recipe! It is definitely a keeper. It gives you a super soft, light, fluffy, lump-free and creamy mashed potatoes! The first mouthful indeed puts a smile on my face. Mmmmmm, so smooth! I've also received a fair amount of compliments from friends and family members.
I never know that the preparation requires quite a few techniques to be closely followed. To me, this is a simple straightforward side dish to prepare - just boil, mash and flavour! I was very wrong! Little did I realize that I have overlooked some steps which appears to be very small insignificant but fairly important!
I got the recipe from allrecipes.com, under the name Chef John's Perfect Mashed Potatoes.
- Place the potatoes into a large pot, and cover with salted water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain, and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Turn heat to high, and allow the potatoes to dry for about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher twice around the pot, then add the butter and milk.
- Continue to mash until smooth and fluffy.
- Whisk in the salt and black pepper until evenly distributed, about 15 seconds.
I am sharing the link below if you wish to view the video of how Chef John prepares the mashed potatoes.